Saturday, January 25, 2014

1-25-14 - Its been a bumpy road :P

First, I'll apologies for the lack of updates here. The production of Castle Pinkiestein has been a bit rough-going and for a number of reasons. One, I've found that on some lower end computers (namely, my Acer Aspire One Netbook) runs at a crawl, so I've been trying to work that out (struggling on the decision to either downgrade back to the original Blitz3D or find another language that would handle my project regardless of hardware). Two, I've been struggling with collision detection regarding seperate meshes that are not apart of the global world mesh (again prompting me to debate on downgrading to Blitz3D) and Three: I'm still experimenting and learning on methods for creating Quake style geometry for the world meshes.

All these things have been very time consuming and I've had to put my other major project (Spikes Quest) on the back-burner until I could make Castle Pinkiestein production friendly

I've just managed to put together a half functioning door system that hides/unhides certain rooms while certain doors are opened/closed which kinda helps with the slow rendering situation (or so I hope, havent tested it on my Acer Laptop just yet) so there is still hope.

On the downside, if I do have to downgrade to Blitz3D, that means no multi-platform support (Mac OSX and Linux based OSs) because Blitz3D only supports DirectX7 which is strictly PC based. So let's hope I'll never have to do that :P

I'll start updating more again soon, once I get things rolling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment